Thursday, November 27, 2014

Gratitude...

Here in the US it is once more the day of eating to excess, getting dopey off tryptophan, hanging out with family, and being thankful for stuff. I skipped the first three this year, but here's my shot at the fourth.

In a year in which I have moved countries (again), changed careers, and run a successful crowdfunding campaign, I have a huge amount to be thankful for. I could list achievements, I could list obstacles overcome, I could list the various comforts I'm lucky enough to enjoy, I could list many things.

But all of the things that I'm truly grateful for come down to people. I'm grateful for the people in my life. And not just the people who are always loving and kind. Don't get me wrong, I am SOOO grateful for my friends and family, for everyone who has supported me in some way over the past year (of whom there are many); people who have administered hugs when needed, people who have had faith in my ability to accomplish my goals, people who haven't told me my dreams are crazy, or discouraged me from trying new things.

Yet, I'm also grateful for the people who have challenged me. I'm grateful for the people who have disagreed with me. I'm grateful for the people who have told me I'm wrong, or that I shouldn't do something, or that I am - in fact- crazy. I'm grateful for these people whether they were right or wrong. I'm grateful because challenges teach us so much about ourselves, whether they challenge us to prove others wrong, or challenge us to accept that we are wrong ourselves.

I'm grateful for the strangers who have reached out to support my writing. I can't tell you how much it means to me that people I've never met before or had any contact with are willing to read my stories, enjoy them, pass them on, tell others about them, or write me a note to let me know that they were in some way moved by my writing.

I'm grateful for the strangers who have dismissed or belittled my writing, because they have helped me grow a thicker skin and reminded me not to take myself too seriously.

I am grateful for everyone who has smiled at me as I pass them on the street. I'm grateful for everyone who has held a door for me, picked up something I've dropped, or nodded in greeting when I've said hello.

I'm especially grateful for my husband; for being my support, my cheerleader, my coach and my teammate. I'm grateful that he makes me want to be the best possible version of myself.

I've already mentioned my family and friends, but I will mention them again, because they have been so supportive of me and I have been distant in many ways this year, but not due to lack of love.

I'm grateful for my dog, who makes everything better, even when I've lost my ability to believe in myself or other humans.

I'm grateful for everything. I'm grateful for life. I'm grateful that I have the opportunity to tell people how damned grateful I am.

Here's Artemis being grateful for dog beds and mirrors.

I'm thankful for so much on a day that's set aside for giving thanks (and every day). As you can tell from that list, I am most thankful for people (and dogs) so I would like to leave everyone with the following thought:

Today is an excellent day to reach out to the people you wouldn't normally reach out to. The people that you care about, but who maybe don't get to hear it that often. The people that might be alone today. The people who you love, but you assume someone else is telling them they are loved today. Reach out to them today and tell them you're thankful for them. 

It's a message that everyone needs to hear, but most of us don't hear it enough. 


No comments :

Post a Comment